Saturday, January 25, 2014

Macarons Please

Well, I wanted to do this right after trying these macarons, however I have been ill the past three days, and have probably slept enough for the following three or four days. Here it is Saturday night, when I'm writing this, and Chris and I tried these macaroons on Wednesday.

I love macarons, everything about them. They are colorful, playful, delicious, airy, but with a crunch. It really seems like they have been blowing up lately, but why wouldn't they be blowing up? They are just beautiful. I have made them a few times at school, but I have never actually bought these beauties made by someone else. Sooooo when Chris and I were checking out the raceway freehold mall, we stumbled upon a little cart with all these gorgeous colors, and I said to him "mmm, I just love macaroons," and he said let's get some. We checked out the cart and the prices, mind you, I already knew they would be pricey.

    - Side note- If you have ever homemade macarons, you understand the precious time that goes into making these finicky little cookies, as Chris called them "Delicate Angel tears" lol <--- What an accurate comparison.


So this magical little place I'm talking about is http://www.bywoops.com/ .
 

 
This is a macaron company based out of Brooklyn, NY. You can order these online if you would like, however if I were going to order these online I highly would recommend doing one day delivery, and keep in mind depending upon your location this can be more pricey then the macarons themselves.
 
 
 
So now, how much are they, you may be asking? Well they are $2.50 for 1, $16 for 6, $32 for 12, or $93 for 36. I believe online you can only buy a set. We did the 6 for $16. Now if you are wondering why so much money?! Well the time and effort into making macarons is the reason behind this, as well as the main ingredient is almond flour, which is quite pricey.
 

 
 
 
So we decided on these six flavors: (from left to right as seen below) Caramel, Vanilla, Red Velvet, Nutella, Peanut Butter, and cookies and cream.
They also had a vide variety to choose from to include coffee, green tea, and a ton of berry and fruit flavors, however, my husband doesn't like fruit flavors, and we wanted to try them all together. All flavors can be viewed on their website. Another neat feature on their website is, if you don't know what kind you want, there is a randomize button, so you can be surprised with your flavors.
 
So How were they? Were they worth the price?
 
My favorites in order: Cookies & Cream, Peanut Butter, Nutella, Caramel, Vanilla, Red Velvet.
 
The cookies and cream was perfect, chololately goodness with the reminder of an oreo or oreo cream. It was delicious. My second favorite was the peanut butter, keep in mind, I have hated peanut butter my whole life June of 2013. Let me briefly explain. My husband was deployed, I was eating healthy, so nothing sweet was in the house, I was craving something sweet, and a prepackage of betty Crocker ( Bitch knows what she's doing in the kitchen) cookie mix was in the pantry from before he left. Chris loves peanut butter cookies. I decided to give them a shot, and oh man my taste buds were blown to bits. Sooooo amazing, peanut butter! I had been missing out forever! Needless to say I ate a huge jar of peanut butter alone in a week. No shame. Don't worry I ran my six mile a day run for two weeks straight afterwards.
 
 
 
Ohhhhh yeah back to the macarons! So the peanut butter was perfect the saltiness of the peanut butter filling balanced out the sweetness of the actual cookie. The nutella macaron was quite similar to the peanut butter, only with the hazelnut flavor. The nutella macaron may actually have been softer than the peanut butter. The caramel was the first one we had tried, it was perfectly airy with just the right amount of crisp. The filling tasted like a fresh homemade caramel, and boy do I love a fresh made caramel or chocolate sauce. How disappointing is it to have a nice cheesecake at a restaurant and when they top it with caramel or chocolate sauce you can taste that very notable Hershey's taste?
 
Well anyway the caramel tasted genuine, and supreme. Actually the more I'm thinking on it, the caramel may come after peanut butter as my favorite. It was divine.
 
 
I was slightly and mildly disappointed with the vanilla and red velvet.  The vanilla was overly sweet, it just tasted like sugar, Now I know vanilla is a mild flavor, but I can usually pinpoint when vanilla bean or vanilla paste is used over an extract, and I couldn't feel that out here. The red velvet, I hate to say it, it tasted just like the vanilla. Nothing special. But red velvet is suppose to be more chocolately then vanilla. But really it tasted as if they just colored the vanilla red. I was disappointed with two of them, but in all honestly I would buy them again. I would try other flavors, and I would get 4 of 6 again. Although, I know these would be much better and satisfying homemeade, I was happy to finally try them made from somewhere, it is convenient having them already made, and I enjoyed the beautiful packaging.
 
 
 

 

4 comments:

  1. I make these at work, and to me they do just taste like sugar. They are delicious and light, but yes, very sweet. The recipe I use only calls for "2 drops" of vanilla for about 15 sandwiches. These cookies are very sensitive to adding liquid, so if using extract it can't handle too much before you'll run into consistency problems. I definitely rely on filling for flavor. We use lemon curd, raspberry curd, and chocolate buttercream. Thanks for the post though, very good review.

    Side note, if you want to try making them, up here I've been finding reasonably priced almond flour at Costco and I can give you a few pointers ;)

    Thanks Rach...
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work at a dessert restaurant and we sell Sucre macarons (from new orleans). They're the only macarons I've had but I'm addicted. They only use Ponchatoula strawberries in their strawberry macarons. Which makes for a delectable macaron! You should see about order from Sucre, I think they're a little less expensive, like 2 per cookie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam,

    Thank you for the insight! I only made them a couple times in school, but I do think this place could have amped up the vanilla by the filling or so. The filling with these was a vanilla American buttercream it tasted like, which in return, made it super sweet! I didn't even take into account the flavoring with the consistency issues. Great point! Costco?! really? Awh I don't think there is one around where I am! I have seen small batches of almond flour (maybe a 8 oz bag) at whole foods and trader joe's run for about 13.99. I will need to ask the master google if there is a Costco near me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendra! I will definitely check them out! I really do want to try a larger variety of macarons! Mmmm! And how I do miss Ponchatoula strawberries! You have intrigued my mind and my tummy. lol :p

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik