Friday, March 13, 2015

Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Pepper

I have been trying to eat pretty healthy for the most part since Chris has been gone, I mean sometimes the meals I prepare are not the healthiest, but eating in moderation is what is important. I have been really enjoying this because it is helping me become more creative in the kitchen, while making amazing foods. I already have a list of foods and recipes I need to make for Chris, when he returns home. Some dinners are not the healthiest, like an upcoming recipe I will be sharing, a buffalo chicken calzone, but when I make things such as that, they are usually one days I have ran, and usually it's when I have eaten fruit for breakfast and a salad or a smoothie for lunch. I am taking that break off from running, but I am still going to eat what I want, when I want, but like I said, in moderation. Moderation is key.

Ok so I wanted a Philly cheesesteak sandwich, however I didn't want to drive into Philly, and I also wanted to make it healthier. Key word here is healthier, not healthy, this does contain 2 slices of cheese and some fat from the steak, and a bit of butter, so I am not saying this is healthy, but a healthier alternative to your traditional steak sandwich.

Let's get started. I first took a green pepper, sliced it in half, and removed the seeds, and the ribs. Set this aside. Preheat your oven to 400. Slice and dice some onions and mushrooms, enough to fill both sides of the pepper. I sautéed this in a couple tablespoons of butter for added flavor. Once these were tender and caramelized, I added in thin strips of steak tips, good quality, I used ribeye strips. Do not cook these all the way, just until slight brown, still with some red, if you cook it fully it will overcook in the oven. Also toss in some minced garlic at this point if you want. I love garlic so I put it in everything. You want to do this at the end so it doesn't burn. Also season with salt and pepper to your own taste preference.

 
 
Once the filling is ready line both pepper halves with a layer of provolone cheese. I apologize for how my pan looks, it is clean but really scratched, worn, and torn, from use. I need new pans!
 
 
Now simply top with filling, I made a lot, but I am using all of it!
 
 

 
Once your filling is in the pepper halves, top each half with another piece of provolone cheese.
 
 
 
And bake, this should take 20 minutes.  ( side note- I did not prebake the peppers, but I definitely would actually prebake them next time, because I like a nice soft sautéed pepper. I would prebake till tender, then stuff, then bake to get nice color as well as a nice smoke on the cheese; however, they were still delicious).
 
 
 
This picture is about a 10 minute bake time.... bake for 10 more minutes and... you have..
 
 
 

 
... beautiful peppers. This was so delicious, single handedly the best thing I have ever made! Like I said, I would prebake the peppers next time, for a more tender pepper, but that is the only thing I would change. I had one for dinner, and saved the other half for lunch the next day. I cut the half, in half so you could see the filling.
 
 
Very juicy in the middle, and the steak was still tender, seasoned perfectly and absolutely amazing. You must try this! I consider this healthier then the steak sandwich because there isn't bread in it, it is about half the calories, and still just as tasty and delicious.

 









 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik