Monday, March 16, 2015

Buffalo Chicken Calzone

This was actually one of the first meals I made when Chris left. I was craving something buffalo flavored, you know when you get those insane intense cravings, and they just will not disappear until you have fulfilled that craving?! Well that is what I was having. I didn't follow a recipe. I apologize, a lot of the things I cook, I don't follow recipes for. Cooking is different than baking. In cooking, you can add things to make things better, things don't have to be precise. Baking is the opposite, baking, your measurements need to be perfect, if they aren't you are... well... you are fucked. Seriously... I can recall so many formulas I have tried to do on a whim, that have failed, failed miserably.




I did bake a dough... What I did, was I took my favorite pizza dough recipe and I halved it. Even halving it, I split the actual dough in half and froze the remainder. For the dough I mixed in my stand mixer, 3 cups of bread flour, and then I dissolved 2 teaspoons of fresh instant yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water, lukewarm. I then added a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to the warm water/yeast. The sugar is "food" for the yeast, let it sit until it smells fragrant, and it frothy. Add this to the flour, mix with a dough hook, and add about two tablespoons of olive oil, this can vary upon how the texture is looking, once mixed for a while, I added 1/2 teaspoon of salt. It is important not to add the salt directly to the yeast, added salt directly to yeast, is like added salt onto a fresh wound, it is going to scald it, and it wont rise as well. Once the dough has come together, coat oil in a bowl, place the dough in it, place thin layer of oil on the dough to prevent "skin" from forming. Place the dough in a warm spot to proof for an hour. I usually place mine in the microwave (NOT RUNNING), just because it's a nice dark warm spot that wont be disturbed. Once the dough has risen to your liking, take as much or as little as you want. Roll it out to a good size.

Be sure to place cornmeal on your pan so the dough doesn't stick, or flour, but I find corn meal works best.  I layered down franks red hot buffalo sauce (it's my favorite, but use your favorite) and then I placed mozzarella cheese on top of that, then my precooked shredded chicken. I cooked the chicken in the oven, not all the way, so it wont become over cooked. I salted and peppered it, and smothered it in buffalo sauce. Once you layer your precooked chicken, top with some more cheese, and a thin line of ranch dressing, or more if you like more. Pinch the dough together, and cut slits on the top of the dough, to allow steam to release.  Bake at 425 for 20-30 minutes depending on how crisp and brown you like your crust. Serve with addition buffalo sauce, ranch, both, or none.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik