Monday, March 17, 2014

Buffalo Wings in Buffalo NY

One of the things Chris and I were most looking forward to doing while in Buffalo NY, was trying a true buffalo wing. We went to Erie, PA to vacation at splash lagoon, and since it was so close to Buffalo, we decided why not see Niagara Falls, as well as eat some wings. We did our research on the wings and we narrowed it down to two places we were going to try. It was either going to be Anchor Bar the originators of the buffalo wing, or this other place that had raving reviews and seemed to be the local favorite, when we asked around, and this place was Duffs Wings. While contemplating all day, we decided we had to try the originators, Anchor Bar it was. I knew, and chris knew too, that we would be kicking ourselves in the ass if we didn't try them.
 
Well, after trying Anchor Bar, i could have done without them honestly. They weren't the worst wings I have ever eaten, but the certainty weren't the best. The sauce was actually really good, it tasted like some version of franks red hot sauce and butter, which I love franks, and know this is basically a buffalo wing. What was weird though, was after we ate these, my stomach immediately started to hurt really bad. You know the feeling after just eating McDonald's and your stomach feels horrible, like a grease pit? Well, that is how I felt, and chris' stomach started hurting too, but not like mine. Well after talking to locals, now, I don't know if this is true, but they told us they allow the wings to sit out for hours under heat lamps, so that makes sense if they are sitting and soaking in the grease. I don't know if it's true, but I would believe it since ALL the sauces and ranch and bleu cheese were sitting on a side table completely full. As well, as when we asked for extra sauce we saw the server grab from there, mind you the ranch and bleu cheese were not over ice, not entirely sure that's sanitary being it contains milk. As well as the wings came up quick warm but not hot. They seem like they are quantity over quality. Nonetheless, Chris and I were glad to have gone there purely for the experience of it being the originators of the wing. They may have created the wing, but definitely did not master it. I didn't get any pictures. :/
 
 
On the way home from our trip we decided to go back through Buffalo and try Duffs wings. Duffs is in Buffalo NY as well as another location in NY and in Canada. Now these wings were amazing! These were way better than Anchor Bar. They were piping hot when they were brought out, and even after letting them cool off for 5-7 minutes, they were still steaming when I bit into them. I got the medium-hot and those made my nose clear up. I would like to think I can handle my heat too! Although, they do let you know their hot is very hot! Chris got the hot and those were almost too hot for him. Usually we love breaded wings, and we know the traditional buffalo wing is naked, and I am telling you these were the best wings I have ever eaten in my life! They were so flavorful, I love ranch with my wings usually, and with these I didn't need any at all. I was so happy we went back to try them, and left with the taste of a real buffalo wing! haha


While in Erie we also tried some great food, a couple places i'll just mention really quick, since this is becoming a bit longer than I intended. For starters they brought out homemade chocolate malt beer muffins, these were fabulous, I would almost go to say the best muffin I've ever had. Side note- I need to bake something similar! The cheddar ale soup was divine! We tried the brewerie! The jambalaya was delicious and actually had the kick of spice to it, it promised! There was an interesting dish on the menu, it was a homemade mac and cheese with philly steak, it tasted very homey. The only downside was that the portions were HUGE! And since we were staying in a hotel we felt bad for wasting. Here are some photos.


 

 
 
Another great place we tried in Erie, PA was stevos pizza. The stuffed pizza was amazing, again sooo big though! I don't have any pictures but here is the site for them. : http://www.stevospizzeria.com/
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik