Saturday, September 6, 2014

Georgetown Cupcake








While in D.C. we went to Georgetown Cupcake, this was one place I was dying to go to, sort of how when we first got to New Jersey I was dying to go to Carlos Bake Shop. If you have heard of the TLC show "D.C. Cupcakes," then you know this is the cupcake shop from the show. Since the start of the show and their bakery, they have opened up a few more locations. We went to the original location, and I have to say we were not disappointed! It was busy but not packed, it is a very small location so it can get crowed quickly, but as for the line, there were maybe three people ahead of us. We did also go on a Wednesday though. This was our last stop before we headed home, we made it our last stop so the cupcakes would stay fresh on the way home, and we bought a full dozen, because I really wanted to try a lot of them! We got 6 flavors, 2 of each of the flavors. It was 32.50 before tax for a dozen, and it totaled to 35 and some change after the tax.


These cupcakes literally were the best cupcakes, I have ever eaten in my entire life. Actually these may be the best form of sweets I have ever had period. These cupcakes put Carlo's bake shop cupcakes to shame. Now Carlo's has all kinds of pastries such as pies, cheesecakes, eclairs, cookies, browns, full size cakes, cream puffs, and the infamous cannolis, but seriously Georgetown Cupcake is that amazing, better than all of those pastries.


I was worried that it was all hype, but really they are heaven. The cakes are super flavorful, soft, and fluffy. The icing is perfection, like a cloud of heaven. The icing isn't too sweet or too much, the ratio of cake to icing is spot on. I also love how you can see all the cupcakes they have made on the sheet trays and racks. They also let us know that the cakes would be good for 48 hours upon purchase at room temperature, and could be frozen after that to preserve them.











We chose the flavors:

Vanilla2  (Vanilla cake w/ vanilla cream cheese icing) 

Salted Caramel  (Caramel cake with salted caramel icing)


Chocolate Hazelnut (Chocolate cake with chocolate ganace, dipped in hazelnuts)


Red Velvet (Classic red velvet cake with classic cream cheese icing)


Strawberry (Vanilla cake baked with strawberries with a vanilla strawberry icing)


Milk Chocolate Birthday Cake ( Vanilla cake with milk chocolate icing)



Chris didn't eat his strawberry because he doesn't like fruit in cupcakes, but I loved it so much! I ate his strawberry, and gave him my melted twix from D.C. lol


Was trying to get a picture of the mixer, (It is bedazzled) and she was getting something underneath,
and popped up right as I took the picture. haha












 It was rather hot outside, and we left D.C. at about 5:30- 6:00 and went through Baltimore to get home, so we got delayed in some traffic, and with a car that has a broken AC, I was worried they were going to melt. We drove home with the windows rolled down, and only the strawberry melted a bit, just the icing slid off a little, other than that they all made it home alright, I rode home with them on my lap, so they were by the breeze of the wind.

On the way home, is when we tried the first one, we started out with the vanilla, because it was the simplest of the flavors. And it was absolutely amazing, the most flavorful vanilla cake I have ever tasted, and that icing as I said above is perfection. It is not too sweet or too much or overpowering, it compliments the cake just right.


 I feel like the other days we tried the flavors, the cakes dried out a bit from sitting in the cardboard box, because air still gets in. I wish I would have taken them out upon arriving home and placed them in an airtight container. Though, they were still delicious and amazing. There were so many flavors I wanted though!


Tasting how good these were really lit up my passion again, and really inspired me to make more homemade cupcakes. They released a book with their recipes in it, not all of them, but some basic recipes. Of course the basic vanilla and chocolate aren't in it, but there are a couple variation cupcakes which use a vanilla and chocolate base, and I am pretty sure I know the base. Also, in the book I learned they use a European butter called plugra as well as cocoa powder from France called valrhona. I really want to get my hands on that, but it is pricey. They also use chocolate chips from Belgium called callebaut. I want to get my hands on that as well! I also found the brand of vanilla they use, that vanilla cake was just so divine. I literally went and bought 2 lbs of plugra butter and enough ingredients to make five different cupcakes in that book. My baking cabinet is so full!  Here is a picture, and keep in mind it goes about 12 inches back. Also in the refrigerator we have a pack of 18 eggs, 3, 1/2 gallon containers of milk, 3 packages of cream cheese, and the 2 lbs of butter.



Here is thir book:

The cupcakes were so delicious that I cannot even put them in order of how I liked them from the best to worst, because they were all equally delicious. I seriously am falling in love with baking again like I use to be and wanting to experiment more and more. This visit also made me want to experiment more with decorating, even if it's just little fondant cutouts like they do. I usually don't like working with fondant because I hate the way it tastes, it just is not good. I am a firm believer what you put on food or on a plate should be edible and delicious, and I believe this is my reason for hating fondant, though it makes cakes look so lovely. I love the way Sophie and Katherine use it though, just a small garnish in the middle, it is simple, elegant, and just a tiny piece doesn't taste bad. I have so many flavors I am planning to make, that I had to separate it into months and write them all out. I was getting carried away with buying all the ingredients, but there are some things you cannot buy all at once, that can expire before you get to them like milk, eggs, cream, butter. That plugra butter though is good till the middle of November, and it was pricey, about 5.00 per 8 oz. I really cannot wait to work with it though, I am super excited to see the difference it makes in the cake batter and icings! I found it interesting that they use all purpose and not cake flour, I usually always use cake flour for cakes, but they were that good, that I don't want to mess up their recipes!

Be on the lookout for a vanilla and a caramel apple cupcake or cupcakes rather from me, soon! Those are the first I plan to make! :)  <3 

Then a Pumpkin spice and maple chocolate chip, then for Halloween time the chocolate goo-nache (see what they did there?!) and a chocolate candy bar cupcake using 3 different chocolate bars. (Stay tuned to find out what kinds of candies) Then in November I want to make gingerbread and the salted caramel. Awhhh and in December there are just too too many to name for December!!!

Do you feel my excitement?
I hope so!  :)

Oh And they also ship nation wide, you can order some here!
The shipping fee is 20.00 and the dozen is 32, I think shipping is so much because of the way they package them, to ensure they arrive just as if you were to buy them in the shop.

I think I may want to pick up some of their Christmas flavors, even though I can make them, I really want to try their Christmas Cupcakes, made by them!

<3 Cupcake LOVE








No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik