Friday, April 17, 2015

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

I have seen these Cauliflower Pizza Crusts all over and have always wanted to try one. I would say mine was slightly successful, but I have ideas on how to improve it for next time, it was delicious, mostly I just need to improve the structure of it.


I started off with half a head of cauliflower, and cut the stems off. I made a personal pizza with this amount. After cutting the cauliflower, I placed it in a blender, and blended to rice size pieces. Preheat your oven to 500 degrees. Once the cauliflower is blended, place in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave for 4 minutes. After this, allow the cauliflower to cool for 10 minutes. DO NOT RUSH this step! I cannot stress that enough. You want all of the moisture to be released from the cauliflower.

Once cooled place on a clean kitchen towel.


Now, fold the towel over the top and squeeze the moisture out. You will be surprised as to how much water is held within cauliflower.


Keep squeezing until you have soaked up as much water as humanly possible! 


Once ready, place into a clean dry bowl, mix in an egg and mozzarella cheese, this is going to be the binder. I should have used half an egg for mine since it wasn't the whole cauliflower head, I added back in too much moisture with the egg.


I had to end up squeezing some the egg out, so it would hold. This is pretty messy, but mixing actually works better with your hands. I also mixed in some salt, pepper, and garlic powder to season it.


I placed mine on a cookie sheet with cornmeal... and it stuck to the tray, I didn't have parchment paper so I tried working with what I could. I just shaped it as you would a dough for a pizza crust.


Place it in the oven and bake for 14 minutes.



Once par baked take it out and add topping of your choice. I just stuck with sauce and cheese.


Now bake until your cheese is melted to your liking or toppings are cooked, I baked mine for about another 10 minutes, keeping an eye on it.


It had an amazing crisp and crunch on the ends.


Hey it looks like a pizza right?!


Next time I would use less egg, and when I bake it I would use parchment paper, as it took me a while to pry it off in one piece with a spatula. The middle wasn't as crispy as I wanted, so next time I will make it thinner as well as place another cookie sheet on top of it while the crust bakes with some sort of weight on top. I think that would help yield a crispier crust all over.












No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik