Friday, August 22, 2014

S'mores Pie





One of my favorite treats in the summer time are S'mores, so much so that I almost originally named my blog "S'more Baking" (Like Some more Baking) . . . I thought it was clever and a bit cheesy. I don't so much mind cheesy, but I didn't want to limit my blog to only baking, so that's why I didn't go with that name. Anyhow, so s'mores are a classic and simple, delicious American treat. I con't know why, but they taste so much better on a summer evening underneath the stars, by a fire, wouldn't you say?

Summer is nearing an end and Fall is arriving soon, some people consider August to be Fall, but Fall doesn't actually begin until September 22 or 23rd. Well I decided one day after a hard run to reward myself and make a s'mores pie. Now I have never made one before, but the idea sounded amazing. With that idea in my head, I went to my trusty pinterest board, and found a great recipe that can be found here.

I followed that recipe to the Tee, however I did double the recipe to make two pies. Doubled the crust worked out amazingly, but doubling the filling, I had a bit much filling, probably enough for another half a pie, plus I over filled my pies. (you'll see that in the photos).

I thought this pie would be a great why to say goodbye to the summer season and hello to Fall, which is my favorite season by far! Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas! Christmas is my favorite holiday, but Fall is my favorite season. Well I suppose I thoroughly enjoy September-December, about the same amount!

So i had a little problem here, continue through the photos to see what I mean....

Here is the recipe before I share photos:


S’mores Pie

Adapted from How Sweet It Is via The Pastry Affair

Ingredients

Graham Cracker Crust
  • 2 cups graham cracker crumbs (from about 16 whole graham cracker rectangles)
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
Chocolate Filling
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 eggs, whisked
  • 1 bag of large marshmallows (you’ll only need about half of the bag)

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C).
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter until evenly coated. Press mixture into a 9 inch pie plate (I used a shallow pie plate and didn’t need all of the crumb mixture). Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until fragrant. Keep the oven running.
  3. In a medium saucepan, whisk together cream and milk. Warm over medium-low heat. Add in chocolate and stir until chocolate has melted and is smooth. Slowly add the whisked eggs and mix until smooth.
  4. Pour the chocolate filling into baked pie crust. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until chocolate filling is set and does not move when pie is lightly shaken. Remove from oven.
  5. Using kitchen shears, cut marshmallows in half. Place halves in concentric circles over the top of the pie until it’s covered.
  6. Set oven to broil. Place pie under the broiler and lightly toast the marshmallows. This can take anywhere from 1-5 minutes, so watch those marshmallows very closely!
  7. Chill the pie in the refrigerator to set for at least 2-3 hours.
  8. To serve, spray a knife with non-stick cooking spray and cut the cold pie into slices. While the pie can be eaten cold, it’s really best when slightly warmed. Heat the pie slices in a microwave for 8-12 seconds before serving for the best results. Drizzle with chocolate sauce, if desired.
Number of servings: 8-10





I love how the crust is a simple gram cracker and butter crust.


It doesn't have to be crushed up perfectly.


It gets baked at 325 for 8-10 minutes, mine took 8.


Next I measured my chocolate out, and set it aside. I love Ghiradelli chocolate!


While the crust baked I heated my equal parts cream and milk over medium low heat



Once hot, mix in your chocolate.


Until smooth,


Then take the mixture off the heat,



And whisk in your egg.


Add a pinch of salt, I actually did 1/2 teaspoon to cut the sweetness.


Whisk until smooth, making sure there are no lumps or scrambled egg!


Fill your pie tins! I over filled mine...


I had realized later on this recipe was for a 9 inch pan, I used an 8 and doubled the recipe for two pies.
Bake at 325 until the pies can be moved without the filling jiggling.


White they bake (mine took 30 minutes) You can prep your marshmallows for the top of the pie



Simply, cut the marshmallows in half wih kitchen sears.


I used almost the whole bag, but had about 1/4 left (thank god i had some left, you'll see why soon).


Place the marshmallows on top of the pies.


Now you are putting the marshmallows under the broiler, the recipe I had said it could take 1-5 minutes depending, and to watch the marshmallows. She wasn't joking! Mine were in about 1 minute exactly, and I started to smell something, I thought they are for sure done. When I went to open my oven (mind you this was the first time i used the broiler in this house) the pies were on FIRE!

Yes,
you read that right.
THE PIES WERE ON FIRE,
FULL OUT FIRE YALL!

So what did I do?
Well I quickly shut the broiler off, removed the pies and waved hot pads at them, like a mad woman.
Once the fire was out, I looked at the pies with sadness, and then quickly said,
I can save them!

And I did just that, saved these beauties. 
Before I could take a picture of the burnt marshmallows knowing how quick they set,
I just began removing the top layer, only the top layer was burnt. I actually like burnt marshmallows,
but it didn't look pretty and I was sending one of these pies with the hubby to work.
I get really paranoid as to whether people will like my creations or not.



The above was what I peeled off,


And was left with this.


So I used the left over marshmallows that I had, placed them on the pies and used
my handy dandy blow torch (from bed bath and beyond)
It's meant for torching marshmallows, meringues, creme brulee and such. 




And so I saved the pies!
WooHoo!


And topped them off with more gram cracker crumbs,


And chocolate chips to pretty them up a bit!


My cut slice isn't near as pretty as the lady's in the blog I found the recipe for, but
it sure was super tasty! The filling isn't too sweet at at,
and it was more of a chocolate mousse filling, the gram cracker
crust and top crumbles were perfection, and the marshmallows
turned out to be very delicious, the right amount of fluff and crisp.  

My husband fell in love with this pie, and 
everyone that he works with enjoyed it,
it is something so simple, and a classic,
it is definitely something I will make again,
in the future!

Next time I will just use my torch, and not the broiler! 


If you use your broiler, literally don't leave it alone, not even for 20 seconds! 
That is all it takes for your pies to catch fire!

I was super happy that I was able to save them, and 
that they were amazingly delicious and not a flop!



Thanks for stopping by, and hope yall had a good laugh with me! :D
























No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik