Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pizza Subs





In my last post, I talked about how amazing tomato sauce is when you home-make it, and trust me it is that amazing. Chris and I seriously adore sauce, and we always say the more sauce, the better. It is always better to have extra, rather than not enough. The sauce we made for sketti, literally made, I honestly would say about 12 to 15 cups of sauce. I am not exaggerating. That was also after we both had already eaten, and had seconds on our sketti.

So what do you do with left over sauce, besides eating more sketti?!



You......... Make......... PIZZA SUBS


Pizza subs are delicious, and once you already have your sauce or left over sauce you can whip this baby up in about thirty minutes. We use sub rolls or french bread, I like the sub rolls because they are already portioned, and french bread gets hard very fast, you need to use french bread almost within the hours of buying or making it, in my opinion.

We take our sub rolls, brush the inside with a home-made garlic butter (melted butter with garlic powder), add cold sauce, warm in the oven to warm the sauce through on the bread, for about 10 minutes, once the sauce is warm, top with whatever cheese you'd like. We used mozzarella, a 5 Italian cheese blend, and grated Parmesan, I like to do a layer of cheese on both sides and pepperoni in the middle. You could even do breaded chicken to make it into a chicken Parmesan sandwich, or meatballs to make it into a meatball sub. I just like classic cheese and pepperoni. I also added some red pepper flakes to give it a little kick. Then just continue to bake until the cheese is melted to your liking, and until the sub rolls are crispy.

These are just a few ideas of what you can do for an easy dinner with leftover sauce, something other than more sketti.

Super delicious and one of my favorite ways to use that left over sauce, to make sure it doesn't go to waste! After all, it is way to decadent and tasty to get tossed out!





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik