Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Capital Grille

Chris and I love to eat out, and one place we just tried out for the first time was The Capital Grille.

 
 
 
 
 
Now, I am an employee at The Olive Garden, and for those of you who don't know, the olive garden is owned by darden. Darden also owns red lobster (for now, I think that's going to be changing soon), The capital grille, seasons 52, Bahamas breeze, and a couple other places. Employees of darden get discounts of 25% for I believe up to 6 or 7 people. I cannot remember correctly. I have only ever used my discount twice actually. I will tell you, I was happy to have that discount at the capital grille. :) But that discount that we saved went to our servers' tip anyway.
 
From the moment I walked in to when I left, i couldn't believe it was owned by darden. It is definitely one of the nicest fine dining chain place I have seen. Usually chain places are well, typical. At first when we saw our server I wasn't sure if he was our server or a manager just helping out because it was busy... and then... I realized everyone was wearing this beige colored like vest that he had on, that almost resembled a suit.
 
After our water was poured by the servers' assistant, (busser to I think?) He brought us bread and butter, three verities, thin crackers, a darker bread that resembled the flavors of rye, and poppyseed rolls.
 
So to start Chris and I ordered the Lobster and Crab Cakes. Here is the description of them: 
"Seasoned with hints of bold dry mustard and sweet red pepper" These were actually perfectly seasoned, so much so that there was no need for the sauce. WHAT!!?? No need for sauce?!?! Yep, no need for it. These were $19.00.
 
We both wanted a salad, but not a whole one, usually as a server, I HATE when people split things, because usually it's because they want to save money, and usually when they want to save money, they don't tip accordingly, but I knew we were going to, and we already were ordering a lot of food. Now, not everyone that splits things doesn't tip correctly, I know this, but it just happens to have been the pattern I have seen as a server, so I hate to order things split, but we ordered a Caesar salad split.
It was like your typical Caesar, great nonetheless. The crotons were homemade, and extra crispy, just how we like them. Caesar salad was $10.00 
 
For our main courses, I decided to go on a whim and get the halibut. I usually don't like fish too much, mostly shellfish, not actual fish. Although if I had to pick a fish it would be halibut, Alaska opened my eyes to halibut. I have never ordered a full portion of fish though, knowing I don't usually like it.  They don't have a description of it on the site but it came with a honey mustard vinaigrette baby potatoes, and two artichoke halves. It was super light and delicious. I literally ate almost the whole thing. I have never been more impressed with a chain restaurant. Again, this is darden?! whatttt?! The halibut was $43.00
 
 
Chris decided on the Dry Aged Steak au Poivre with Courvoisier Cream, which was 14 oz, and described as, Tender sirloin flavored with black peppercorn for a spicy flavor. He got his steak medium rare, which is how we both love our steak! (Thanks Chef Naomi for introducing me to amazing medium rare steaks, and then allowing me to introduce chris to them!) When it came out he let me try a bite, we always do that with each other. The sauce was spectacular, the steak was cooked perfectly, and the marbling gave the steak a melt in your mouth flavor that was to die for. The only thing that chris didn't like about it, and me either, is that there was TOO much peppercorns. & this says a lot being that we both love pepper. The steak was perfect on salt, but the pepper was overload. Also it was too huge, chris ate about half of it, and didn't get a box. We never bring steak home, as it's just one of those foods that isn't good reheated, it's going to dry out. It is just best eaten fresh. It was 46.00
 
 

 
We also ordered a side of the Au gratin potatoes that can be seen a little to the left of Chris' steak. These were perfect! No critiques on those! The crust on top was golden, they were super cheesey and creamy as they should be. :) They made my belly happy! These sides are very large, and perfect. I just love when places serve their sides family style. Then, you can get what you want and not feel pressured to eat what is on your plate, which is good for these potatoes, because had I had a large amount on the plate with my fish, I would have eaten them all.  I want to say this side was $14.00 or $15.00
 
 
 
 
With tax- the original check was 136.00 and
with the discount, it went down to 102.00 give or take some change.
Discount saved 34.00 dollars, which went towards the tip anyway, but that was nice!
 
All together we spent 150.00 (with tip included) We tipped him 48.00 he was a good server
and knowledgeable. For my jersey people, Ask for Chris at the cherry hill Capital Grille
 
Overall it was really good, the discount makes it worth eating at. Now, that being said definitely not somewhere you go to unless you are craving steak or seafood, that is majorly what they offer. Also maybe not somewhere you would just go on a whim, we did, but hey we hadn't really been out in a while.
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik