Monday, May 26, 2014

Boston Cream Pie Cupckes

Boston cream pie is one of my favorite desserts, it is light, fluffy, and has just the right amount of sweetness to it! I wanted to make this cake into cupcakes, because I always send my treats with chris to work. Cupcakes are much easier for people to eat, that don't have any forks or plates in the establishment.
 
Laura Vitale from Laura in the kitchen on youtube, is one of my favorite people to watch on youtube. All of her recipes look delicious and amazing! This was my first time making something of hers and it did not disappoint! It was excellent! You can find her original recipe here! 
 
Let's get started!
 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
 
 
First we are going to start by making the pastry cream, as it needs to chill a while in the refrigerator.
Add all ingredients together in a saucepan with no heat yet. This should include, your milk, flour, sugar, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt.
 
 

 
Whisk everything together, until fully incorporated still with the heat off.
 

 
 

 
 
Turn heat onto medium, and cook until it begins to thicken. You should drain out any lumps through a fine chinois, however I did not have one, and if you don't give it a nice beat before placing in a bowl, this is to make sure the mixture is smooth and no egg has scrambled.

 
When you have your desired consistency place into a small bowl. 

 
 

 
Cover the small bowl with a layer of saran wrap or a plastic baggie, as I did, if you don't have saran wrap on hand. We are doing this so the cream will set and no crusts will form on it from the exposed air.

 
 

 
Place bowl in the refrigerator to set up, while you are preparing and baking your cupcakes and ganache topping. 
 
 
Now for the cakes. Let me just first say, I was super impressed with this cake. It was extremely soft, airy, fluffy, and delicious. I usually always use cake flour in my cakes and never all purpose, I used all purpose because it is what Laura's recipe called for, and I wanted to make it as exact as possible, since I always watch her videos.

 
Combine all your dry ingredients together this should be the flour, salt, and baking powder.
 
Cream together the room temperature butter and sugar, until light colored and fluffy.

 
Next, add the eggs and vanilla together, mix just until combined.

 
Add in all dry ingredients, mix on low, slowly.

 
Slowly add in milk, while everything mixes, still on low speed, just until combined and nothing more! You do not want to over mix, if we over mix, the cake will not come out airy and fluffy, which is what we want!

 
Once everything is combined, scoop into a cupcake pan, without liners! Yes you heard me, do not use cupcake liners, but do spray the pan well with nonstick spray! Bake these babies at 350 for 18-20 minutes. This will make 12 cakes, and mine took exactly 18 minutes!

 
While the cakes bake, we want to start on our ganache. I love chocolate ganache so much, it is delicious. I have always made it over a double boiler, but Laura has a different method for making ganache, so I figured I would give it a go.

 
Measure out your cream and heat the cream on medium heat, just below the boiling point.
 
 
 
 
Measure out your semi sweet chocolate chips and place them in a bowl, set it aside for the moment being.

 
Once the cream is hot and ready to go, pour over the bowl of chocolate chips.

 
And let it sit just as it is for about 3 to 4 minutes.

 
Now that it has sat the chocolate should start to be melty, stirr it with a spatula.

 
It will slowly turn to a light brown color.

 
Then to a deep chocolate brown color.

 
Now add in the butter and a pinch of salt.

 
Stir it a bit more to help the butter melt completely.

 
Let the ganache sit a bit before icing the cupcakes, I allowed mine to sit while the cakes cooled.

 
When the cakes cooled enough to touch and work with I popped them out of the tin.. .

 
...And sliced them carefully through the center, creating a top and bottom half.

 
Once sliced you can start to fill each cake with a couple teaspoons of pastry cream, not too much so it isn't too messy. I used 2-3 tsp per cake, and it worked out perfectly for 12 cakes.

 
Only place the cream on one side, per cake. I wish I would have cooked my cream a bit longer or let it set longer so it was thicker, but they were still delicious. Now you can place the top half of the cake onto the bottom which has the cram.

 
Now to top with the delicious ganache. I used a spoon, spooned a couple spoonfuls of chocolate onto each cake, and spread it out a little.

 
I didn't spread the ganache too much, because I wanted it to just go wherever it wanted.

 
I very much enjoy the homemade look of theses,

 
As well as no liners, so you can see the layers like a traditional Boston cream pie cake.
 
 
So now, excuse the fact that I am in my pj's, no makeup, hair a wreck, and have a horrible sunburn turning tan, but I wanted to put a picture of me holding one up, because they were really amazing and I was pretty proud of these. :)
 
A few things I would change, I would let my pastry cream set longer or cook longer, to be thicker, wouldn't put as much chocolate on the tops, wouldn't have let my ganache sit as long as I did, it was getting to thick, as well as would have added a bit more salt to the ganache.

 
Thank and I hope yall enjoyed, here is the video on these from Laura Vitale:
 
 
 
Printable recipe:
 
Makes 12
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 20 mins

Ingredients:
For the cupcakes: 2/3 cup Granulated Sugar 1/2 cup of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature 2 Eggs 2 tsp of Baking Powder 1/8 tsp Salt 1-1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour 1/2 Cup Whole Milk 1 Tbsp of Vanilla Paste or Extract
For the Filling: 3/4 cups of Whole Milk 1-1/2 Tbsp of All Purpose Flour 2 Tbsp of Granulated Sugar 1 Egg Yolk 1 tsp of Vanilla Paste or 1 Envelope of Vanillina Small Pinch of Salt

For the ganache: 4 ounces of Semisweet Chocolate Chips 1/3 cup of Heavy Cream 1 tsp of Butter, softened at room temperature 1/8 tsp of Salt

Process,
To make the filling:
1) Add all your custard ingredients in a large saucepan and with the heat turned off, whisk them all together to combine.

2) Place your custard over medium heat and cook it, stirring the whole time until the custard thickens. Strain it through a fine sieve into a bowl, cover the custard with plastic wrap (make sure the plastic wrap is touching the custard) and pop it in the fridge completely.

To make the cupcakes:

3) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, spray a nonstick muffin pan well with nonstick spray and set aside.

4) In a small bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking powder, set aside.

5) In a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the sugar and butter. Add the vanilla and eggs and cream together until you get a smooth mixture. Add the dry ingredients and with the speed on low, mix together slowly adding the milk and mix everything to combine. DO NOT OVERMIX! Make sure you give everything a good stir with a spatula from the bottom to incorporate any bit that wasn't mixed.

6) Scoop the batter into your lined cupcake tin, make sure it's only filled 3/4 of the way up because they will rise. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes and let cool completely before filling.

To make the Ganache:
7) Heat the cream in a small pan over medium heat until just below boiling point.

8) Pour cream over chocolate chips and let sit for 1 minute. Add the softened butter and whisk the whole thing together until the chocolate has fully melted. Let it sit for a few minutes before frosting the cupcakes

9) When everything is ready to be assembled, cut each cupcake horizontally (remove the paper if you used liners), spread about 1 Tbsp of the custard on one side, top with the top of the cupcake and spoon over a touch of ganache.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik